Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Review!

Just realized I’d been meaning to post about some of the books I’ve been reading but never got around to it! Eeek! Well, here’s to THAT New Year’s resolution!



I just finished two books over the holiday break (ok well into the new year, but pretty close right??). The first I started was 52Loaves by William Alexander. Non-fiction, foodie with a bit of travel book. Basically, it is the story of a gentleman who is out to bake the perfect loaf of bread and goes about it by baking a loaf a week for a whole year. He’s trials and errors are quite amusing. He even grows his own wheat, and travels to Paris to learn to bake and then eventually to a monetary in Normandy to teach the monks to bake! If you are interested in baking bread or have baked before, I think you would find it very amusing. I can’t say that I’ll go to the lengths he has to bake bread, but I am certainly more educated (I know what NOT to do!). Mr. Alexander also wrote The$64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured anExistential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden. I haven’t read it yet, but strikes me as very similar and equally amusing.

The second book I read was Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard. Also non-fiction, foodie, travel type of book (can you tell what type of books I enjoy?). It was lovely and sweet and full of delightfully delicious recipes. I tend to live in a wanderlust of romanticism about living abroad and this book certainly brought to light some of the more complicated things you don’t really think about when just moving to a new country (French Health care for example!). Regardless, lovely little read!

On a related note, I’ve been getting my reading in with my Kindle! Peter bought me one for our anniversary (I returned the favor for him for Christmas!). I’m loving it! Pete got me the KindleKeyboard 3G+WiFi. Seriously, wonderful. The 3G is great and we were able to use it while we were traveling in Italy back in September. I could download books at without having to find a Wi-Fi spot!

Next on my book list is WineWars: The Curse of the Blue Nun, the Miracle of Two Buck Chuck, and the Revengeof the Terroirists. My sweet momma bought it for me for Christmas. I actually had this on my private wish list on Amazon (unknown to my mother), but it turns out the author teaches at University of Puget Sound (where my little brother attends) and she was able to get us a signed copy!

Another book I’ve got on my list is a Kindle Deal of the day I got earlier this week Longitude:The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem ofHis Time. This book has also been on my private wish list for some time, so when it came up for $0.99, I had to grab it!

Funny image, I just had to repost. Image found on Pinterest but from here.

Would love to hear what books you have on your bookshelf! Leave me a comment, pretty please!

No comments:

Post a Comment