Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Avgolemono

Avgolemono is chicken soup for the Greek (or wish you were Greek) soul. It's my go-to make me feel better soup when I'm sick or feeling kind of low. It makes me think of my Yiayia and my Mamma.

It also comes straight out of Joy of Cooking. Doesn't get more Greek than that right? :)

The only tricky part is tempering the eggs with the hot stock, put as long as you only add a little bit to start and keep whisking while you pour it in, you'll be a Greek Avgolemono queen (or king!).


3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup of rice
1/4 cup lemon fresh lemon juice
2 whole eggs
chopped cooked chicken (optional)
I usually cook up a couple chicken thighs or one chicken breast and chop  pretty small.
salt and pepper to taste

(1) Bring chicken stock to a simmer. Add rice and let cook for approximately 15 minutes or until rice is just cooked.
(2) In a separate bowl, mix eggs and lemon juice until well combined.
(3) Once rice is done cooking, add approximately 1/4 cup of the warm stock (drizzling in while mixing) to egg mixture stirring consistently to incorporate and prevent curdling (temper eggs with warm liquid). Add another 1/4 cup or so and keep stirring.
(4) Add egg mixture to remaining stock and whisk until combined.
(5) Add chicken if using to heat through.
(6) Season with salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment