Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Taco Wednesday

Last night I cooked one of my many favorite recipes, Fish Tacos! I stopped in at Costco on the way home to pick up some fish (the most affordable way I've found so far!). I try only to buy fresh (not farmed) fish and usually Costco has a white fish (this week I got halibut) I can pick up. Pretty basic recipe, basically just cut the fish up into strips (or chunks), dip in egg and then in a panko-flour-seasoning mix. Serve that with homemade coleslaw, and I'm happy girl!


Here's the recipe (kuddos to my momma because this one is one of her creations):

Fish
Fish (you pick, I like white fish, usually halibut)
Panko (let's go with at least a cup)
Flour (couple table spoons)
Seasoning (I use Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning that I make at home)**
Eggs (beaten)

(1) Cut fish into strips (or chunks)
(2) Combine flour, panko, and seasoning
(3) Dip fish in egg
(4) Dip fish in panko/flour/seasoning
(5) Place on a sheet pan that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray (or lightly greased with olive oil).
(6) Lightly spray fish with cooking spray (or olive oil)
(7) Cook at 450 for about 10-15 minutes




**I pretty much have used this on everything. Try it on flank steak with lime juice and some EVOO or on chicken with lemons and EVOO.

Amounts are entirely arbitrary. You'll need more of everything if you are making more fish. Adjust as necessary.

Cole Slaw
1 bag of coleslaw (pre shredded cabbage and carrots)
OR just get a head of red and green cabbage (you'll probably only need a third of each head depending on how much you are making) and thinly slice yourself
1 can mandarin oranges (save the juice!)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Cole Slaw Dressing (3 spoonfulls of mayo, 2 spoonfulls of sugar, half of the juice from oranges, and 1 spoonful of corn starch)
Salt and pepper to taste

(1) Add cabbage, oranges, cranberries, and almonds to a bowl.
(2) Mix together dressing in a bowl
(3) Add dressing to cabbage mix and add salt and pepper to taste.




I like to serve these tacos on a corn tortilla that I have either made crispy on the stove in oil (Can you tell I'm avoiding saying I fried them!?) or grilled lightly.

Final Product! Served with Root Beer
last night (even though it  looks like Guinness!).

No comments:

Post a Comment