Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thai Noodle Soup with Shrimp

It was new recipe night two at the Christensen household. As mentioned this morning, tonight's new recipe of choice was a Thai Soup with Shrimp. It was fairly simple to make, although I really wasn't digging the smell at all. I'm thinking that's probably has to do with using fish stock, fish sauce (wow that stuff is smelly), and fresh shrimp (that I pealed and de-veined no less!). The taste overall was actually pretty good (and not fishy at all), but I didn't LOVE the results. I think next time, no fish sauce, more spice and probably thinner noodles (the ones I used didn't cook very well and were very al'dente).


Recipe courtesy of Jamie Oliver 20 Minute Meals application for Android:

Makes enough for 2 people

3 cups fish broth
1 stalk lemon grass
2 garlic cloves
1 inch fresh ginger
1 medium fresh red chili
2 small bunches scallions
1 medium bunch fresh cilantro
beansprouts
1/2 lb shrimp
glass noddles (very very very skinny rice noodles)
1 lime
fish sauce (optional)
salt and pepper

Heat broth and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Chop lemon grass in half and add to broth.
Chop or mince garlic and ginger and add to broth.
Chop chili (removing white bits and seeds if you don't want too much heat). Reserve half, add remaining half to broth.
Chop scallions and cilantro and set aside.
Add shrimp to broth and cook for 2 minutes until just cooked.
Remove lemon grass stocks.
Add noddles and let cook for approximately 5 minutes with the lid on.

Serve in big bowls with scallions, bean sprouts and cilantro.

Notes for next time:
Try chicken stalk instead of fish stock.
No fish sauce.
Use very thin noodles (the ones I used today were too thick).
Add more Chili (be brave!).

Perhaps you will enjoy this more than me! I think I'll attempt it another time and see if I like it better. Let me know what you think if you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment