Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash

I've started watching this new show called "The Chew" on ABC. It's on at noon so I just DVR it and watch it later. Fricking hysterical! Foodie talk show with Clinton Kelly (What not to wear!), Carla Hall (Top Chef), Michael Symon (Iron Chef), Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter), and Mario Batali. What a great combination of people! Sooooo funny to watch! You should watch it, I promise you will laugh and then want to cook everything they make on the show!

Last week (although I watched it this week because I'm behind by a week!), they did a show on Thanksgiving sides and Mario made a Stuffed Acorn Squash. Sounded pretty good but I wasn't 100% sold. That said, I happened to have a acorn squash, a bunch of greens, and some green onions from my box from Full Circle Farms. Seemed like fate, so tonight I decided to be brave and try it. I will admit, I've only really ever used greens in soup (chili usually) but hadn't yet been brave enough to try it any other way. I really haven't eaten it much so didn't know how to prepare it. Oh well, here's for adventures!

I followed the recipe (linked here and above) but added a bit of chili flakes to the chard/kale to give it a little kick. Also, the recipe calls for 3 acorn squash, but as it was just Pete and I (well and I only had one squash) I only used what I had. But I did use 2 bunches of greens (although they were also on the small side). Long story short, use what you have!


Final Product!
I have to say, both Pete and I were pleasantly surprised with how GOOD this was! Having not really eaten any of the ingredients before, we were a little nervous about how it would taste. I tasted along the way and thought each separate part (the squash and the greens) were both pretty good independently, so I figured it couldn't be too bad altogether and with bread crumbs and cheese on top. And it was so so so so so good! The squash was lovely and sweet (I roasted it in the over for about 45 minutes so it could yummy and crispy in spots). Then the chard got a bit crispy in the pan (which I'm not 100% sure I was supposed to do, but ended up being PERFECT. I love crispy food). And then putting it under the broiler for a few minutes with the cheese and bread crumbs was the icing on the cake. DE-LIC-IOUS. Seriously, you should try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment